Halloween Kids Crafts - Baking Great Halloween Cupcakes
Baking cup cakes are great Halloween Kids Crafts. You may not believe me but my little granddaughter that is only 4 years old, has amazing success with cupcakes with very little help from my side. Obviously, they are not "show" quality but very edible. With older kids you can start teaching them to bake better cupcakes.
Cupcakes are fun to make, and even more fun to eat. They're a favorite snack for Halloween parties, or to have around the house for your ghouls and goblins.
Here are some tips for making your Halloween cupcakes irresistible:
- Be sure to preheat the oven fully, and bake your cupcakes on the middle rack.
- Mix your batter carefully. Be sure not to mix longer than the mix or recipe calls for, and bring your ingredients to room temperature before you add them in. This will keep your batter from being lumpy and make your cupcakes nice and moist.
- Use decorative Halloween cupcake cups. These cut down on messes and add a nice touch to your finished treats. If you prefer not to use paper cups, you'll need to grease and flour each individual section of the pan.
- Fill each cup 2/3 full. If they're filled any higher, the cake will rise and spill over onto the pan. If not full enough, they will turn out too small.
- If your oven heats unevenly, turn the pan around halfway through baking.
- Check your cupcakes after the minimum baking time by inserting a toothpick in the middle of one. If it comes out clean, they're done. If not, they need to bake a little longer.
- Try pumpkin cake mix for a great Halloween flavor. This goes great with cream cheese icing!
- If you don't like the idea of pumpkin cupcakes but want to make them look more festive, add some food coloring to make them orange. You'll have to experiment to get the right shade. In yellow cupcakes, a dash of red may be all that's needed. If you're using white cake mix, you'll need to add orange (or red and yellow). Add a drop at a time and mix well until you get the color you want.
Halloween Kids Crafts - Cup Cake Decorating Ideas:
- Orange frosting is great for making your cupcakes look like pumpkins. You could add black frosting accents to make a jack-o-lantern face, or stick a small piece of green licorice in the middle to make the entire cupcake resemble a small pumpkin.
- Use a fine-tipped frosting applicator to draw spooky designs on your frosted cupcakes. Spiders, spider webs and ghosts are quick and easy to draw.
- Break oval-shaped cookies in half to make tombstones. Stick them upright in the frosting, and write "R.I.P" on them in a contrasting frosting color. This looks especially good with green or brown icing for the "ground."
- Top your cupcakes with creepy candies. Gummy worms, candy bones, and chocolate monsters are favorites of kids.
- Make spider cupcakes. Use black licorice to make eight legs, and add any kind of small round candies (or use frosting) for the eyes.
These are only a few ideas to get busy in the kitchen with the kids for Halloween Kids Crafts.
For an e-book with lots of kids crafts, and no less than 10 Halloween Crafts, have a look at the e-book Fun Kids Crafts. In this amazing e-book you will find crafts for every holiday, season or occasion.