Sunday, July 19, 2009
Even though this craft is for a party, there is no reason why you cannot invent a party in order to have the kids make them!
Birthday parties with a cheerleader theme are lots of fun. They encourage the honoree and guests to run, jump and play, creating their own cheers and acrobatics. Cheerleading outfits are not necessary, as any comfortable clothing will do just fine. But there is one thing that every aspiring cheerleader needs: pom-poms.
You can find inexpensive plastic pom-poms at most discount stores. But did you know that you can make them at home for next to nothing? With a few simple supplies, you can quickly whip up enough pom-poms for a cheerleading party. And best of all, you can use any colors you like.
* Tissue paper in two or more colors
* Dowels or popsicle sticks
* Vinyl tape
1. Place four sheets of tissue paper on top of one another. Fold them in half widthwise.
2. Starting at the open end, cut inch-wide strips through all layers. Stop about an inch from the fold so that the strips stay together at the folded end.
3. Starting at either folded corner, roll the edge of the tissue paper around the end of a dowel or popsicle stick. Roll all the way to the other folded corner. Tape the tissue paper securely to the dowel or popsicle stick with vinyl tape.
4. Place four more sheets of tissue paper on top of one another, and fold in half widthwise.
5. Repeat steps two and three, rolling this tissue paper around the first.
6. Repeat the process to make a nice, fluffy pom-pom.
For best results, alternate two or more colors. You could use the birthday girl's favorite colors, or school colors. You could even use up to eight different colors to make rainbow pom-poms.
If you want fuller pom-poms, just keep adding layers of tissue paper. You can use as many as you like, as long as you can still tape them to the handle.
Miniature pom-poms also make great party favors, and they are very quick and easy to make. Simply arrange pieces of basket stuffing in the desired colors together, and make a handle by tightly wrapping a small amount of vinyl tape around them. Trim the stuffing even with one end of the tape, and trim to about an inch long on the other side. If the handle is too long, trim to the desired length. Attach safety pins to make pom-pom pins, or leave as-is for decorative use. These also make great doll accessories.
These projects make great party favors. They also work well as crafts for party attendees. Provide lots of different colors of tissue paper and/or basket stuffing so that each child can make her own unique set of pom-poms.
Do go and have a look at the Fun Kids Crafts Ebook